Pages

Friday, July 17, 2015





Lake Pend Oreille!

Tuesday I got into Sandpoint and have been staying with my good friends Nick and Lori. Nick and I have been best friends since high school. When the three of us get together it is just fun. I mean laughing so hard that milk comes out your nose kind of fun. This is the view from the deck. Pretty tough to look at this every morning.

Bill, Wayne and Bruce at the Bonner Gospel Mission in Sandpoint

On Wednesday I went to visit the folks at Bonners Rescue Mission. When I walked in the faint smell of wood smoke intermixed with bacon lingered in the kitchen. There was a guy back by the sink doing the dishes left over from lunch. he introduced himself as Wayne. I talked with Wayne for about half an hour waiting for the CEO of the outfit, Corky, to finish up with a meeting. Wayne is a very likeable guy who resides there at the mission. There is just something about him. When he smiles it is like the love of Jesus permeates from him. We got on the subject of fishing and well, I think Wayne and I will have to have another meeting over on the Clark Fork!
Corky is a character himself. We visited for about an hour. He has a quick wit and has some really good stories. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting this Mission and left them with 30 books. Corky and his team are top notch and really make you feel at home.

Bill and Phil Altmeyer

Thursday I stopped by the Union Gospel Mission in Spokane. I met with Phil Altmeyer, the CEO and President of the Northwest Gospel Missions.  He runs a pretty tight ship there at this Mission. It was one of the busiest well run outfits I have seen even in comparison with the corporate business world. I was thoroughly impressed at their organization and the services that they provide for homeless individuals. Sonny gave me an extensive tour of the Mission, it's history and their current expansion project. I came away with a completely new perspective on what these missions do for the homeless community. The city of Spokane should be very proud of this Gospel Mission in their community. I left 210 books there with Phil and the folks there at the Union Gospel Mission in Spokane.

On my way back to Sandpoint I dropped in on Russ from Teen Challenge out by Airway Heights. I visited with Russ there for about a half an hour. I left him with 50 books that I believe will help him with his ministry there at the addiction treatment center for men.

1 comment: